Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Galapagos Cruise II: Floreana

    September 9, 2022 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    While our cabins were quite comfortable, our journey unfortunately wasn't. On our cruise, we traveled between islands overnight. 6 hours of strong waves caused by the Humboldt current had reduced our sleeping time to only a few hours.
    Nonetheless, after a hearty breakfast we set out to explore the next island, Floreana. At Cormorant Point, we explored a lagoon and were lucky enough to find a recently hatched sea turtle on the way towards the water. Afterwards, we snorkeled around Devil's crown and saw sharks, seals, a turtle and swarms of fish.
    After lunch and a siesta back in board, we went kayaking at Baroness Lookout and then on to Post office bay, with an actual letterbox which is in use since 1792 - the idea is you leave a postcard and look for another one from your country in order to personally deliver the postcard to the sender. Surprisingly, barely any cards from Germany...
    Then we snorkeled from the beach (we hope to get some snorkel photos after our return) - the highlights were the sea turtles who sleep on the ground. At some point I was swimming above 10 turtles while three of them came up to swim with me - each at least half as big as myself. Quite magical.
    Read more