Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Mexico City III: Teotihuacan & Garibaldi

    October 5, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    The last early rise of our trip. We caught a 5:30am shuttle that would take us out to Teotihuacan, the ancient temple city near Mexico City with its famous pyramids. Based on recommendations from fellow travelers, we opted to explore the site with a hot air balloon ride from above. Truly majestic, how the Ballons slowly rise from the ground. The ascent then was slow and without any shaking. Initially, I was a little afraid, but then got used to being in the air in this small basket.
    It was a little cloudy, which made for a great sunrise and atmosphere and we were lucky to at least catch a glimpse of the pyramids through the fog.
    Back on ground, we then walked through the complex (unfortunately you're not allowed to climb the pyramids anymore). Quite impressive considering they are almost 2000 years old - understandable that the civilizations that followed the initial builders (such as the Aztecs) continued worshipping these majestic buildings.
    After a rest when we returned to to the City, we had one more agenda item: Plaza Garibaldi - famous for its mariachi bands. We had dinner at a friend's recommended restaurant and asked for a song - as is the custom. While we both won't become the biggest fans, we were happy we experienced this part of Mexican culture.
    Read more