Satellite
  • Day 46

    Perhentian Islands, Malaysia

    June 28, 2017 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Let me start by saying that the Perhentian islands off the north eastern coast of Malaysia are awesome! Crystal clear turquoise waters, long white beaches, and cheap but fantastic diving, what more could you want?!

    We got to the smaller of the two Perhentian islands (Kecil) after a 40 minute boat ride from the small port town, Kuala Besut. We stayed on the southern coast of Kecil on a long white sand beach caed Long Beach. It is packed with dive shops, restaurants, hotels, and bars. Because the island is so small, we weren't confined to this tourist area, instead we ate most mornings at an all you can eat resort buffet ($5 NZD) on a beach on the nothern side of the island (about a five minute walk).

    During our time on the island, our group kayaked for about six hours around Kecil, frequently making landfall to explore secluded beaches and gathering much needed supplies. We hiked to a windmill in the middle of the island and stumbled upon a decrepit staircase leading us down to a semi-sunken concrete pier. I went diving at the Temple of the Sea where I paid my respects to an underwater mountain buzzing with all kinds of marine life. Whit and I also dived a 90m long sugar transporter wreck which was so big that we swam through it's propeller shaft surrounded by circling barracuda. On the evenings that it wasn't raining (about half), our group was entertained by live fire dancers while we sipped cold Tiger beers.

    After a week of paradise, we leave the Perhentian islands to explore the more temperate Cameron Highlands in the middle of Malaysia.
    Read more