Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Food Tour

    April 25, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    I was able to change the tour to the later, 6:30pm one. Boy, am I glad that I did!

    Backing up... It was an hour walk from my place to the meeting spot in Prati. I figured I'd be fine. But the pedestrian traffic was bad and I was running late. I get to the address I had, and no one is there. I looked and looked, and even tried to call. I messaged the company and finally received a call. I was at the morning tour spot. The place we where meeting was a 10 minute walk in the direction I just came from!

    I found the group and apologized profusely. I said every tour has one late person and this time it was me!

    We started at a café and fancy food shop. There was mozzarella alla buffala with sun-dried tomato paste, 3 types of bruschetta--olive oil, green pesto, and red pesto. But the cheeses were the best! Parmesano Reggiano with 28-year old balsamic vinegar. Next, a small toast with white truffle parmesan cream. Then Asiago with truffle honey, and finally a cheese with truffle paste. So delicious. I sat with 3 Germans, who were there with 3 others, for a birthday trip.

    The next stop was for Roman pizza, which has a thicker crust than traditional Italian pizza. There were many choices and I picked mortadella with some sort of cream. We all shared the bite-sized pieces of many varieties. My pick, and the one with speck, were my favorites. All good, though! We were standing, and I met the gay couple, Brian and ?. I also met a couple from NJ who just relocated to OKC. Then there was Louise, from Dublin--another solo traveler.

    Next we went to a pizzeria with more traditional pizza. We also had a selection of cured meats and more cheeses. There was a red rind one that was delicious. At that place Paolo took our orders for dinner at the last stop.

    By the time we arrived at the restaurant, we were all a little rowdy. I'm sure it was the pizza, not the wine... I sat at the table with the English speakers. Including a weird couple from LA/San Diego. They were pawing each other and she almost seemed like an escort. Didn't talk to them much. We had out pasta, carbonara for me--2 down! The Brian and partner were an absolute riot, as was Louise. We asked for a candle for Catherine's dessert and sang happy birthday to her. We had so much wine, and there was talk of going somewhere else. But we all jumped in cabs and headed home.
    Read more