Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Krka

    September 21, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    The Krka National Park follows the gorge of the river Krka. Its been inhabited for quite some time.

    The Romans were here, and built an amphitheatre as well as various military camps. There are also ancient signs of Christianity at the Krka monastery which is all alone in charming meadows at the bottom of the gorge (so we worked hard for our visit). The monastery is now Serbian orthodox and also a seminary and boarding school for 30 students.
    Beneath are layers of catacombs that may date back to the first century. We had a short guided tour and then sat and contemplated the rain from the shelter of the cloisters. The dissonance of the three monastery bells, the crash of thunder, the pelting of the water on the roofs and pavement, and the gushing spout of the drains out and down the stairs made for a memorable sound moment.

    In afternoon light, we enjoyed some splendid views over the gorge and lake. Just as we started to feel hungry, we realised that the cycle navigation app had fooled us by omitting 10km... and a 180 m climb. So after a last sweat, we arrived rather late into a crowded, expensive and uninspiring campsite. Oh, well. Alain managed to appease the ravenous Alice with a powder asparagus soup, 'tuna with hot-hot-chili onion and tomato salad' and instant purée. Pfff...
    Read more