Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    The walls of Ston and Mali Ston

    October 1, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Back from Korcula, we camp on the continent. Small incident: we run out of fuel for the stove, just as we cook our first ground beef in ages. Ahem, we ponder on how to get just 0.8 litres of petrol and discuss the various tricks found on internet... since the minimal purchase is 2 litres.
    We conclude by adding cheese to the menu and volunteer Alain to go get petrol first thing in the morning. He is very proud to return, with 0.89l of petrol and a 1.44 euro credit card receipt, delivered in complete indifference by the cashier. All that before a coffee.

    We start the 122km road to Dubrovnik on a beautiful tiny windy hilly route along the sea. By 15:00 we are halfway and come to the fantastic site of the walls of Ston. A decision is quickly made to call it a day, and climb the steeply stepped nearly 3 km of wall that link Ston and Mali Ston... As it turns out, this is the defence wall of the town/state of Ragusa. (More on Ragusa tomorrow).

    We find a good room. The owner lady remembers in the morning that we are in October and gives us back 5 Euros. Nice!
    Read more