Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Regal reef

    August 10, 2022 in Fiji ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Today after breakfast the morning excursion was to Plantation Pinnacle Reef. It was low tide at 10am so people where ferried in the dingy to the boat - there was a large group of people today so it took 4-5 trips. Once on board we went on a very slow and rocky journey to the reef. I wasn't sure the swell would ever settle, but sure enough when we got to the reef, it was pretty still. The reef was beautiful - layers upon layers of coral and while there weren't many types of fish, the number was staggering - in some sections I couldn't even see through the fish, there was that many. We followed the edge of the reef for quite a while and then got back in the boat. The trip back was much like those raft boats where you get splashed every second wave 😂 by the time we got back, we were wetter than we were in the water. And so begun the ferrying of people back to shore - the boat is tied about 100m from the shore in low tide. We and our new friends (a family from San Francisco - a middle aged couple and their adult daughter and her partner) decided we would swim to shore instead. The boys would bring our belongings to land on their last trip in. Snorkels and fins back on we snorkeled back in. Being low tide, the last 30m or so was super warm as there was only about 1m of water, but we couldn't walk in as there is still reef at that point. We washed off before having lunch - beef burgers with crispy cassava. After lunch we played a game of chess before reading and snoozing into the afternoon. That night we listened to the band from 6:30pm while enjoying some drinks. They told us one of the songs was about kids getting on the bus for school, but they don't want to pay the fare. The bus driver can't yell at them in front of the village as their parents would hear, so he waits until he is 6 miles out and makes them pay up. The song is called "6 miles" in Fijian.
    Dinner was a shared entree of veggie wontons, then roast pork with veggies and gravy/apple sauce for me and Sichuan chicken stirfry for B. Dessert was bread and butter pudding.
    Read more