Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 03 - Reflection

    February 13, 2022 in France ⋅ 🌙 1 °C

    So - Day 3 . . . Going home day!
    All too quickly it was time to get going and head for home. We packed our very few belongings, made good in La Petite Maison and left a message for Amanda and Robin. Once back into the roomy 500 we set off.
    Initially south west, we had decided to head for Cognac on our way back to the airport.
    Heading through the countryside we again, as we had over the previous two days, saw numerous signs for
    ‘Prudence - Chassé En Cours’. Today however we actually laid eyes on the Chassé, with the dogs excitedly bounding across the fields and across the road in front of us.
    We passed through the town of Matha and continued south towards Cognac. The fields grew heavily more saturated with vines as we approached Cognac at times with vines as far as we could see to the distance.
    We dropped into Cognac from the north and crossed the river - sighting the Hennessy riverside building as we did so. We drove around Cognac for a short while before parking up to find lunch. We finally settled in a brasserie opposite the Hôtel François Premier Cognac Centre. We then spent about an hour discussing our wish not to be going home.
    Finally back int he car we headed south towards Bordeaux and the airport, passing through Pons and eventually finding ourselves on the A10 and hurtling along with the other mad drivers towards our homeward flight. We spent the next hour or so listening to some favourite tunes and taking in the passing French scenery.
    Having had a nightmare finding the entry point to the rental car area on our last visit, it was ingrained in our memory for this time and so found it with ease. We deposited our ‘we must admit’ fairly comfy roomy 500 back with the company we will never use again and trotted over to the terminal building.
    Teresa suddenly reminded me we hadn’t completed the UK passenger locator forms and so we sat and filled these out, in the hope this may be the last time.
    We finally boarded and set off for home reflecting on a fab couple of days and a house that ticks all the boxes for us.
    Our final episode of the three days was to be the worst landing Teresa and I had ever encountered. We actually thought at one point we wouldn’t be able to land. We’ve both had bumping landings before but this was on another scale. Thank god Tom Cruise was the pilot. Most of the passengers whooped and clapped when we eventually touched down safely. I couldn’t clap as Teresa was still compressing my hand and attempting it appeared to break every bone in it.
    So that was it - home to rain and wind in Blighty - all done, another trip to think on for the next few weeks.
    -
    -
    -
    Footnote - we nearly had a crash in the taxi on the way home . . . as if we’d not had enough by way of fairground rides for one day!!
    Read more