Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    27.09 - Day 11 . . Revisiting Old Haunts

    September 27, 2022 in France ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    I was woken fairly early from my slumbers by a strange noise in the dark. It stays dark here until about 8am which has thrown my time clock a little. This noise however was close, very close and sounded a little how i would imaging water torture to sound. I took a video in the dark just to prove this strange noise that had woken me. I’ll let you judge the noise on the attached video and guess where it was coming from.
    Both awake we remembered it was Mr Hollywoods birthday and so sent appropriate messages on Facebook etc. We had forgotten about the card we had sent before leaving the UK, but we received a photo of it from Mr Hollywood once he’d opened it.
    Up and about we had already decided to pop back to Civray - Tre sporting her new not to be noticed in jumper. We knew it was market day so just wanted to see how it faites against Lezay which is also on a Tuesday and we’d visited last week. Half hour later we were parked in Civray and immediately found our way back to the market square where we found the ‘Victorious Hairy’ still holding centre stage. The market was ok but nothing special - we remembered as well that market day is twice a week in Civray so maybe Friday would have been a better day.
    We popped into a local bar to grab a coffee and found ourselves surrounded by Brits. It was fair to say we hardly heard a word of French spoken. Much as it was nice to hear a UK voice, it did seem a little like going into an Asda cafe in the UK and listening to everyone moaning about their lot.
    We didn’t stay long and we’re soon in Roxvanne heading to the nearby Intermarché to get bits for our evening meal and then onto Chateau Garnier, across country - using all the back roads we could find.
    At Chateau Garnier we popped in on the property we almost bought in July. This had been our main reason for visiting CG. It looked exactly the same as the last time we had been there - by that I mean it still looked unoccupied and locked up. Neither Tre nor I were sure we should have visited as it brought up a few old feelings and set our minds racing again.
    Anyhow we didn’t stop and pushed onto Jousse. As per our normal bad timing we found everything shut for lunch and so Tre suggested a trip to Savigne to a cafe she had seen on FB posts.
    We arrived at the cafe and entered. Immediately we both looked at one another and I knew Teresa was thinking the same as me. This wasn’t what we were expecting and maybe we shouldn’t stay long. However we were peckish and so ordered a couple of toasted sandwiches. I should have known it was time to leave when I was asked if I wanted cheese in the cheese and tomato sandwich. We hung it out and had possibly the poorest toastie I’ve ever had. Shortly after finishing our offerings we hurriedly paid up and scooted off. We won’t be going back.
    From Savigne we headed back - again across country on the backroads, Tre spotted at least six Golden Eagles on the way home. Note to self - bird spotting book on Teresa’s Christmas list.
    Back at our gite we chilled for a while before making a massive bowl of chilli con carne. Enough to feed us both about four times I would think.
    Stuffed with chilli and French bread we called it a night and went to bed still chatting about Chateau Garnier.
    Read more