Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    30.09 - Day 14 . . . Gournay House

    September 30, 2022 in France ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    We had today arranged to meet an estate agent at 10am in Chef Boutonne to view a house. I had woken at about 6.30am and started to read my daily quantity of rubbish on the phone and also write up the Penguins for the day before. When Tre eventually woke and asked what the time was I obediently checked and replied ‘9.30am - it bloody can’t be!!’. Duvet thrown back with force and a whirlwind of two people from bedroom to bathroom to downstairs and finally to Roxvanne then ensued. Sticking strictly to the speed limits we arrived outside the Mairies office with three minutes to spare and waited for the estate agent. Charlotta (whose name I failed to remember during the entire time I was with her - who puts an A at the end of Charlotte?) finally arrived about 10.10am so no need to rush then!
    After a quick chat we followed her to a property outside of Chef Boutonne - Gournay, which we had visited last Sunday for the Brocante.
    I think both Tre and I initially upon arrival thought - not for us, village/hamlet house with neighbours each side and close to the road. We have a sort of idea of semi rural if we are honest.
    However we entered and were pleasantly surprised, although as we were aware the property would need quite a bit of work. Bad points - needs a re-wire and quite a bit of work, plus a bit of a box as it was a longere effectively. Good points - the work required was not excessive and it was a blank canvas. Able to be re configured room wise and extend into a large loft area. Attached barn which was large, side access from front of the property to the rear . . . . and a large garden with out buildings to die for!!
    So, a bit of a mixed bag - but we came away definitely more positive than negative. Lots to think about.
    After our goodbyes to Charlotta we drove around the area a little, we found the bread machine in the village, the church and nearby school - for little ones thankfully and some of the area we had seen on Sunday.
    Then back into Chef Boutonne to grab a coffee or two and some food for our last night before heading to the UK tomorrow.
    Then back to the gite where we sat in the very hot sunshine for the entire afternoon.
    A quick sort of Roxvanne for her trip tomorrow and then we settled in for the evening.
    Tomorrow we drive part way back to Calais as I’ve got some work still to complete. We will stay in Roxvanne somewhere tomorrow evening and then to Calais and the tunnel on Sunday.
    Really not wanting to return tomorrow - really really not wanting to.
    Hey Ho - it’s only for a short spell and then we will be back . . . We’ve left wine in the fridge chilling!! 😎
    Read more