Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    19.10 Day 33 . . . We Are Off . . Again!

    October 19, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    So, up bright and early and off to work for me, whilst Tre has a leisurely morning and then some packing up of our bits ready for our departure.
    Managed to get away at a good time so back to the hotel, Roxvanne loaded up and off we go - we hope for an earlier option on Eurotunnel to the time we have actually booked for.
    The auto check-in machine at Eurotunnel offers us a payment option to grab the next shuttle in 40 minutes time, so we pay the extra and dash to the terminal building quickly (boys and girls room required) - then straight to the departures. Ten minutes later we are rolling into the shuttle - couldn’t have worked out better.
    We decided during the crossing to take the shortest route back to our place, using the toll roads and hoped to be indoors by half past midnight French time. I also set up a camera to try and create a Hyperlapse video - we will see how that turns out once I’ve had time to edit it together over the next few days.
    Straight out of Calais we headed generally south west and north of Paris towards Rouen, then towards Le Mans. We were treated to a lovely sunset during the last hour of the day with distant views reminding us of why we wanted to be here.
    The toll roads were basically empty for the majority of the drive and after a brief stop for a drink and another loo break we continued in the dark (very dark unlit toll roads) now south east towards Tours and then south towards Potier. As we drove from Tours towards Potier there was a stunning lightning storm ahead of us which kept us entertained for a good hour or so.
    Tre had another session driving through the dark which was fab, apart from one moment when I was convinced she had fallen asleep at the wheel, which scared the **** out of me!! In truth the music in Roxvanne, the noise of the road and the mass of hair covering Tre’s ears had probably prevented her from hearing me tell her something twice. After I shouted at her thinking I needed to wake her up, there was to be fair, a ten minute tense period where neither of us said very much. I did apologise and shortly after was back driving 🙁
    Not long after Tours we left the main roads and were back on the single track roads and lanes towards home.
    After all the traffic works we had seen on the toll roads all night, coned of lanes and speed restriction, France couldn’t help herself and gave us one more road closure and detour ten minutes from home! It was at this point that the heavens opened and we drove the last ten minutes in pouring rain, knowing we were going to get soaked when we parked up and walked to the front door.
    True enough we parked up, walked to the front door and entered like drowned rats! But we were back!
    No time for nattering and a bedtime drink, we were far too knackered and fell into our bed at just gone 1am.
    When we open our eyes next, we will be in our favourite little place!
    Read more