Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    29.11 Day 74 . . . Country Lanes

    November 29, 2022 in France ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    Lazy mornings are becoming a thing, which we probably need to get out of . . . It could become a habit. Albeit, this mornings time flew due to about 4 phones calls, all of which were catch up’s - so longer than normal.
    Tre and I then decided about lunch time to go for a wander round the lanes right outside our front door.
    Although a little cold, the sun was trying to break through.
    The silence here is lovely! We walked for a couple of hours along the roadsides, along footpaths and over some very soft ploughed fields (round the edges - no crops were damaged in the making of this walk). The lanes here are full of fallen sweet chestnut, so Tre and I have vowed to return to collect some for toasting.
    Every time we go out in Roxvanne, Tre and I seem to be discussing what is growing in the fields around us. We were sure one crop we see a lot of was sugar beet - nope!
    With the help of a little app we are now a little wiser, but again we are wondering if some of these crops are actually crops, or crops thinking it’s spring (due to the temperatures) and sprouting early - as per the sunflowers we keep seeing. Maybe some of these low lying crops are animal feed - so we are still not sure what’s going on.
    Anyhow on our list of plants discovered and in no particular order . . .
    Wild Radsish - Wild radish has a very deep root, which makes it frost tolerant. It is a highly adaptable plant which spreads vigorously in its immediate surroundings. Wild radish reproduces by seeds that can have prolonged longevity in the soil and can germinate any time of the year. Due to its adaptability to a wide variety of conditions, frost tolerance, and spreading ability, wild radish has managed to achieve a worldwide spread and is considered a weed species in many world countries. It can be a very strong competitor, so its presence is especially harmful in crop production.
    Rutabaga - Rutabaga is a well-known root vegetable in many countries. All parts of the plant are edible, but the fleshy root is commonly cooked and enjoyed in a variety of ways. Baked, steamed, mashed, and boiled are just a few of the ways to enjoy rutabagas. This vegetable is a filling and gives substance to soups and stews, or provides a hearty side dish. Rutabaga was referenced as early as 1620 by botanist Gaspard Bauhin in Sweden. From there, it was discovered in Germany, and arrived in England in 1750 and made its way to Scottland around the 1780s. It was then found in North America in the early 1800s. Rutabaga was used extensively for food during World War I and World War II. It was often made into a stew with only water and rutabaga as ingredients.
    Common Mullein - (Verbascum thapsus) has been cultivated by farmers and gardeners since colonial times. This herb has a thick stem and leaves covered with a layer of “fur” that feels like flannel. Today, it grows wild in many areas of the U.S., including roadsides and vacant lots. Flowers of common mullein are occasionally brewed into a tea.
    And Finally . . . Wild mustard - is an annual or winter plant that is considered an invasive weed species in many areas. Leaves of juvenile plants are edible, and even though it may cause stomach upset was a food staple in Ireland during the potato famine in the 18th century.
    I actually now think most of these are winter weeds!!
    We also too a path down past a field of very tired corn in the cob to our closest wind turbines - especially so we could get a photo for Mr Hollywood 😂
    Despite their height and size the turbines are remarkably quiet, although they do appear to get louder when the wind is stronger and the blades rotate a quicker speeds.
    Back at outs in time for me to watch a couple more World Cup games including England, Tre sent a couple of emails - still trying to sort the Douane and the tax on Roxvanne. We spent the afternoon between football, emails and online house hunting.
    So a quiet afternoon and evening was had - and England actually won.
    We are out tomorrow to meet a couple we’ve not met before. Tre started speaking to female on FB when we were first thinking of coming out here. Weirdly they live not far from here - so we are meeting for coffee in Melle.
    Read more