Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    It's all about history

    August 1, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Today we went on a tour of Irish history sites. We started at fourknocks, a passage chamber tomb built 500 years before the pyramids in Egypt. We got to go into the tomb, which was very cool. Even cooler because we were the only people there. Our tour guide literally went to a nearby farmer's house to pick up the entrance key! Then it was on to the Hill of Tara, the ancient seat of power for Ireland. If you are the true king of Ireland and knock three times there on the Lia Fail (stone of destany) then the stone will call your name. I knocked, but it was silent.

    Next was Trim Castle. It was a lovely ruin, used in the film Braveheart.

    Then we were on to lunch in the village of Slane, where I found Farrell Pharmacy, as Grandma was a Farrell, that was neat. Then we were on to New Grange, the best preserved and well known passage tomb.

    After that we went to Monasterboice, which was a graveyard with famous high celtic crosses. Found a few Farrell gravesites there too. The crosses were intricately carved and lovely.

    All in all ot was a good day. Our guide told great history tales and helped connect one site to another. And it didn't start raining until we were driving home!!
    Read more