Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 87

    Phnom Penh, Cambodia

    May 12, 2016 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 36 °C

    After Koh Rong I was meeting up with Jack and Chris in Phnom Phen, the capital of Cambodia, which was a very busy, very dirty city in which in which not much seemed to be attractive. The street food near to the hostel was good apart from that the city itself didn't have much to offer and we left relatively sharpish. I think the reason for this is because of the very recent history courtesy of the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot. The 2 main "attractions", if that is what they can be defined as, were S21 - a secure detaining and interrogation facility, and the killing fields. Kind of gives off the feel for the city. We didn't have time to go to the killing fields but we did take the tour of S21.

    Before that we had arranged something more exciting for the first day I arrived. Guns.....and lots of them!! The 3 of us teamed up with Jackson, a Texan from the hostel, and headed out to the range picking up another 2 Texans on the way which turned out to be great as they all wanted to shoot rocket launchers as that's pretty much the only thing that can't be shot in America!! I was on a budget and so limited myself to "just" grenade launcher which was awesome and gave a very satisfying thooomp as I shot it although didn't get too see the explosion as it landed about 300m away in a forest....the rocket launchers were so cool to see!! All 3 shot them at barrels of gas to a get one helluva mighty explosion, vibrated me to my core!! Jack shot the rambo gun which was awesome, Chris shot an M16 and we all had a go on an old school rifle. Our adrenaline fuelled afternoon was followed by a trip to the casino which proved to be very fruitful and a bar crawl to end the night, man levels were high!
    Read more