Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 82

    St John, Antigua

    November 20, 2017 in Antigua and Barbuda ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    You can quickly start to see the changes and improvements after the hurricane. The bridge that was destroyed last time we were here was rebuilt. So passengers can easily get to the bar/café that we ate at last time.

    This time however I decided to give one of the beaches a try. Our assistant manager Caroline and I got a taxi and tried a new beach. Our taxi driver was hilarious, he said his name is Stress and his taxi service is called Stress-Free. There was also so much loyalty between the taxi drivers. They all say the exact same prices and don’t steal fairs from each other. We had arranged for Stress to pick us up when we were done at the beach and right before another driver backed into his taxi and scrapped up the back a little bit. When he were standing waiting for him we were surrounded by taxi drivers but none of them tried to get us to just go with them instead. Very different from back home.

    The beach was one Stress recommended based on how much time we had. It didn’t have tons of stuff around it except a Sandals resort which was about to re-open. So there was hardly anyone on the beach. Swimming in the water was weird. Is was the typical warm Caribbean water but it was full of fish. The water wasn’t clear enough to see them but whenever your feet stopped moving they swarmed your feet nibbling at them. It didn’t hurt it just felt like many little pokes all over your feet. I almost stepped on fish a few times. Caroline had googles with her so see would go down and look at my feet trying to see them. She caught glimpses of them a few times. Saying they were tiny little fish with a few bigger ones. It was a very odd feeling on your feet. I’m sure we have nice clean feet now though.

    After the beach we stopped for some wifi and ice cream before rushing back to the ship for showers before work.
    Read more