Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77

    Jekyll Island GA

    June 18, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    We sailed up to Jekyll Island with Pacific High and anchored in Jekyll Creek in front of the marina. This was our first time here, so on the advice of our friends, John rented a bicycle while Jamie and Cheryl used their on-board bikes. We set out on the ocean path heading north. The path was awesome, well maintained with water fountains (including pet outlets) and foot baths at ocean entries. We stopped at the Dead Oaks beach that Jamie recalled from earlier. Now it's been improved with tons of heavy boulders and scrapped cement to stop erosion. Lot of people go there to hang out with huge oaks, some standing dead and some fallen.

    We kept going north, ending up at a very ripply, almost washboard bike trail across marshes that ended at the fishing piers at the tip. We turned back south, now on roads and paths, until stopping to eat the sandwiches Jamie had thoughtfully brought. Now we could look across East River/St Simons Sound at Sidney Lanier Bridge and Brunswick GA. It's a huge body of water, but so shallow that few boats are around. We finally found a field, which Jamie wanted so he could show me how to throw boomerangs that he'd brought. I tried a few times and wasn't doing too well, so Jamie demonstrated and it was coming back well, until a live oak caught it and did not return it.

    Back to the Jekyll Harbor Marina (very nice place) where for $20 you can land your dinghy, take showers, do laundry, get water and empty trash. That said, we settled for some cold beers.
    Read more