Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Bye Auckland and hello Paihia

    November 5, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Yes, Auckland was cool, but also quite busy and after a while you feel like you've seen pretty much everything there is to be seen... and I got this amazing opportunity of staying with - watch out - a cousin of an aquaintance of my mum! And therefore I left Auckland and went further up to Paihia, which is a lovely small town with so many hostels and even more german backpackers. Honestly, first question when I meet someone isnt "where are you from?" anymore but a "heeeeyy biste Deutscher?"

    So, first night upon arrival I walked along the beach side and met two locals from next town. What I didnt know was that the 5th of November is a holiday in the british empire. Backgroundstory is: a guy tried to blow up the british government 158 years ago and he was stopped just in time. So they are celebrating his failure of blowing some buildings up by making bonfires and blowing up fireworks - yep, fireworks.
    But it was actually really cool, we were about 30 people, from at least 7 countries sitting around the bonfire, eating marshmallows and having a good time! :)
    Read more