Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Carnarvon

    May 24, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Enjoyed our time in Carnarvon-we were spoilt by bananas and tropical fruits all grown with water from the Gascoyne River. We also enjoyed our dinners of scallops,crab and prawns all from a local fishery.
    Interesting attractions we visited were the One Mile Jetty-and the fantastic ice cream from a cafe there,The Shearing Hall of Fame ( see pic of how the shearers relax after a hard day !!!)and a visit to the Carnarvon Space and Technology museum. We learned how Carnarvon played an important role in support of NASA'S Gemini, Apollo and Skylab missions. It was the last station to communicate with the capsules leaving the earth orbit, and the last to make contact before splashing in the Pacific Ocean. We were able to enjoy the experience of sitting in a capsule simulator and listening to the actual countdown and blast off of Apollo 11 on its mission to land on the moon. We saw footage of what the astronauts on board saw and how they viewed our beautiful earth as they took off.
    Buzz Aldrin, from the Apollo 11 mission , followed Neil Armstrong was the second person to walk on the moon .He visited Carnarvon in 2012 and his hand prints are set in concrete for you to see and touch.
    Tomorrow we are off to the Coral coast and a much anticipated visit to Ningaloo reef - hoping the ocean temperature improves for a snorkel !
    Read more