Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Tumby Bay

    March 15, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Tumby Bay is a relaxed yet well appointed little seaside town. We decided to use the town as our base in exploring the region. It boasts a 10 km stretch of white sandy beach, with the towns foreshore kept neat and tidy. There are well kept lawns, shade areas and children's playground. There is year round fishing, boating, sailing, and sightseeing. There is a long jetty where people are frequently seen casting a line. The jetty is home to the Leafy Sea Dragon colony but you would need to dive to see them.
    Nearby is the Sir Joseph Banks Group of Islands, a breeding ground for a large variety of sea birds, seals, dolphins and fish.
    Tumby also gave us some glorious sunrises to kick start are day.
    The Tumby Bay hotel was another favourite spot serving up some delicious evening meals for us to savor. It was built in 1904 by a wealthy pastoralist, initially single story, it later had the second story added in 1909. This was achieved by jacking up the roof, building layer by layer, hauling limestone to build the upper level, the roof then being lowered and secured in position.
    Read more