Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Bergen

    August 11, 2019 in Norway ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Bergen is the second largest city in Norway. According to tradition, the city was founded in 1070, while trading may have commenced as early as 1020s.
    In the middle ages Bergen evolved into one of the most important commerce cities in Northern Europe. One of the reasons for this was that Bergen was surrounded by mountains which gave the city access to fresh water from them. Bryggen features colourful wooden houses on the old wharf. What remains of the quays, Bryggen, is a World Heritage Site.
    Bergen, being surrounded by mountains, lakes and fjords, is high on the must see tourist list, however Bergen is famous for its number of days that it rains-about 200 days a year. Yes we managed one of those 200 but we were still able to see and do heaps of things.
    It is the home to the composer Edward Greig, we visited his home which is situated in the city overlooking the water. The beautiful 2 story wooden home is full of charm and character.
    This city is full of art and culture.
    The panoramic views from one of the 7 surrounding mountains, which can be reached by cable car, is a must see.
    The port of Bergen is Norway's busiest in term of both freight and passengers with over 300 cruise ships calling each year.
    Read more