Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Australia Age Of Dinosaurs - Winton

    May 5, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Home of the world's largest collection of Australian dinosaur fossils and the most productive preparation laboratory in the Southern Hemisphere. The Museum is located on top of an ancient mesa- called The Jump Up - an isolated flat top hill which is bounded from all sides with steep escarpments and stands directly above the surrounding plain.
    We joined a fantastic 3 hour guided tour which included the dinosaur collection, fossil preparation laboratory and Dinosaur Canyon. Fantastic design makes the entire area seem part of the surrounding landscape. Preparation has already commenced on a further star gazing space complete with sophisticated telescopes to view the night sky. Added to the dinosaur museum are plans for an ancient plant exhibit and further dinosaur exhibits. Duncan and I are already planning our future volunteering positions ! - these actually exist- as part of a site dig team or in fossil preparation. After some education you can begin your journey- equipped with a small hand held drill and uncover pieces of 95-100 million year old fossils !!!! How cool !!!!
    Following photo's include actual fossil bones found in nearby digs, creatures created from fossil bones found nearby and a crab fossil- this specimen is somewhere between 95-100 million years old - it's just like we we would find it today- obviously mother nature developed this design just right so long ago. !!!
    Read more