Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Winton to Mt Isa

    May 7, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We drove through mostly flat landscapes with small trees and herbage on our way to our over night stop at Cloncurry. What a surprise to find the Blue Heeler Hotel at Kynuna - a little place consisting of a pub and roadhouse.
    Cloncurry is home to the birth of the Royal Flying Doctor Service ( RFDS ) we visited the John Flynn / RFDS museum followed by a visit to the Mary Kathleen museum, with memorabilia in regard the Burke and Wills expedition, from Melbourne to the Gulf of Carpentaria displayed - those poor people those poor horses such terrible conditions ! Also were references to the Mary Kathleen uranium mining, gem and mineral collections.
    The landscape from Cloncurry to Mt Isa was just over 100 kms of rocky outcrops, sparsely vegetated as far as the eye could see - poor Burke and Wills !!!
    Mt Isa -well well -I think it's fair to say the best thing to see about Mt Isa is when it's in the rear vision mirror !!!!
    Pictures :
    * Blue Heeler Pub
    * RFDS Station medical chest late 50's
    * Rocky outcrops -smaller ones as others too difficult to photograph with no roadside stop available
    * Monument depicting the area Burke and Wills crossed.
    * Brahman bull statue with Mawson getting ready for the next bull riding competition.
    Read more