Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Cinque Terre

    November 23, 2017 in Italy ⋅ 🌫 12 °C

    Walk from Corniglia to Vernazza

    All things considered, we weren't too sore after the hike yesterday. We had great ambitions to do the walk from Corniglia to Vernazza then onto Monterorosso al Mare when we woke up. But when we got to Vernazza from Corniglia, I decided to stop there and train back to Riomaggiorre as my legs were burning and I did want to be able to walk without too much pain tomorrow. The track we did was 4 km, and it was certainly a path more travelled as it was wider, had more even steps, no loose rocks underfoot, and even had guardrails. The walk started with a 360 step climb up to Corniglia before leveling off. It was certainly busy, which made it difficult to have a natural break, a big issue for Ruby.

    For lunch in Vernazza, we found a Salumeria which is like a deli. We were tickled to see that bread was sold in lumps, or part of a loaf, and by weight. We chose our bread, cold meats and cheese. Each ingredient was weighed and costed separately, and the lady very kindly assembled it into sandwiches for us. Most quaint. We took our sandwich and had a picnic near the water. We also had to stop for gelato before catching the train back to Riomaggiorre.

    It was a very lazy day as we were back at the apartment by 3.30pm. It is a nice change to be showered and changed for dinner. Leisurely watching the sunset from our apartment windows. Unlike most evenings, when we would get dinner on the way back to the accomadation or go without dinner once back to the accomadations, too tired to go out again.
    Read more