Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Monti, Rome

    December 31, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Rome is always fantasised and romanticised in movies, books and poetry. When people think of places like Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, people imagine couples sitting peacefully in a warm embrace, people tossing coins for eternal love and to find love at the Trevi Fountain and finding their one true love at the bottom of the Spanish steps. Well, I can tell you now, forget all those dreams and wonderful ideas. It is not true! No loving couples, definitely no peace and absolutely no finding anyone at the Spanish steps. People pushing and shoving everywhere. Crowds of people taking selfies and photos everywhere and no peace at all. You have beggers, people selling you selfie sticks and souvenirs and horse and carriage owners asking for €200 for a 40 minute ride. Going through this hustle and bustle, all we could think of was this isn't peak season, this is low season, this isn't a lot of people. This was confirmed by our guide later in the day who announced, 'look, so many empty spots on the Spanish steps, not many people here now'. All 4 of us failed to see what he was describing. We just saw crowds, and immediately wanted to retreat and take refuge back in Assisi. We thought, not until we have seen the coloseum.

    On New Years Eve, we joined our tour for the Colosseum and the Roman Ruins. Our first look at the colosseum was breathtaking. Maybe because there were no people around, yet. The colosseum now has a brick and travertine facade, but was originally just travertine on the facade, the facade had been damaged due to a devastating earthquake, and part of the outer ring has been destroyed. Still, just seeing it still standing and in such good condition after so many years is just extraordinary. Our tour guide lead us through the colosseum entrance and we were soon standing in the main arena. Having had watched the movie Gladiator a few nights prior to this visit, we were able to imagine it full of spectators who were watching all the gory games occuring right where we stood. Having always loved archeology, old buildings and Roman times, I was in heaven admiring this phenomenal architecture that stood before me. Words cannot describe it well enough so I'll leave that to the pictures with a strong suggestion to visit just the colosseum and it's surroundings and then flee Rome as soon as possible. With the tour, we were able to see the underground of the Colosseum. Where the slaves, animals and Gladiators were held before they went out for their fatal battle. Having not been restored much, other than one part to show us how the lift (from 2000 years ago worked) and reinforcement, it gave us a really good idea of how terrible the conditions were. How damp, cramped and unhygienic the area would be.

    We soon sadly left the colosseum but there was a beautiful surprise around the corner. It was the Ruins at the surroundings of the coloseum from 2000 years ago. The guide pointed out the Ruins of a palace and pointed out bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, Roman baths and entertainment areas as well as churches, monasteries and other smaller entertainment centres like the colosseum. Like, Circus Maximus where chariot races were held.

    I could stay amongst the Ruins all day but we were all needing some food after imagining all the luxurious banquets the emperor's enjoyed in their palaces. I will be tossing a coin in the Trevi Founrain to come back to Rome to see the Ruins again but on second thought, it is a memory I will have forever and do not need to come back to battle the crowds again. After that, we saw many churches that are scattered around Rome, with its stunning art. We found a supermarket and got supplies for our New Year feast. At midnight, we welcomed in the New Year with a glass of Lambrusco and watched an amazing firework display from our apartment's private terrace. Happy New Year to all and many well wishes for the New Year.
    Read more