Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Warren River Loop Walk

    October 30, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    The Warren River Loop trail takes us along the river from our campsite, up to the Bicentennial Tree down to Maiden Bush and back along the river.
    At the start of the walk Ruby found a log extending from the path to about 50m into the forest. Since it had no lichen on it, she proceeded to climb up and walk along the log. Of course I was coaxed into following her. I must admit that it gave a great vantage to view the river. Lichen are important in the eco system of forest, and we make every endeavour to not destroy any. Due to the high rainfall of this area and proximity of this track to the river, fallen logs that are not covered in any mycelium are rare. Ruby found 2 to walk along and sit for a while. It does take you that bit deeper into the forest, away from the track, and sitting quietly on an elevated log is quite an experience. We saw lots of birds flitting amongst the trees, but catching them in binoculars was a skill I have yet to master.

    We are staying longer on the track at the rest stops as it is secluded, quiet and tranquil. Our campsite is quite full. This is the first hike this trip where it has not rained. Blue skies all day so lots of time spent sitting on logs, on tree stumps, or just standing to look and watch. We even chatted to a kookaburra for a while. Swimming is allowed in some parts of the river. Ruby dipped her feet in for a few minutes and it emerged blue. Too cold. No swimming this trip.

    It's our last night in a tent tonight, and we're moving into a little cottage in Pemberton town for the next 3 nights.
    Read more