Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Orchid hunting day

    November 3, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We set off bright and early to pickup honey from Pemberton Honey, then to Beedalup Falls for the first hunt. We found a few heading towards the swing bridge but not many. We saw pink lady, white spider orchid and a pink spider orchid. Then we went to Sue's Bridge Campgrounds to check out the campsite, we saw the highest concentration of cowslip orchids ever and Ruby even spotted a ( green hood orchid)
    We then headed to Boranup campsite to reserve a spot. A strategy told to us by Sue camphost at Warren River Campground.
    After the tent was pitched, we left for Augusta, hunt number 3. On the way, we stopped off at a gallery and that was most opportune. We met a fellow customer and whist exchanging pleasantries, the topic of orchid hunting came up. The lady drew us a map to Donavan Bushland and told us specifically where a path would be to take us to Flat Rock, nicknamed, Augusta's Kings Park where there would be an abundance of orchids.
    It truly was orchid paradise. We lost count as to the number of orchids we encountered.
    We saw lots of different spider orchids, enamel orchid, clown orchid, green hood orchid, donkey orchid and forest mantis orchid The highlight for Ruby was finding the Leopard Orchid. It took us 2.05 hours to complete that 2.5km track. It was an extremely windy afternoon, so photos of the nodding waving orchids posed an enormous challenge.
    Read more