Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2 Albany 6km

    February 21, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    We arrived yesterday afternoon in Albany.
    On the way to Albany, we had rest stops in Williams, an antique shop in Kojunup and Sandalwood factory in Mt Barker.
    Airbnb accommodation has beautiful harbour views and we met up with some friends at Venice Pizzeria for a yummy Italian dinner.
    Whilst having a cuppa, Ruby burnt her foot with spilt hot tea. So we decided not to do a long walk tomorrow.

    We spent our day today at the Torndirrup National Park. We went to Misery Beach voted Best Beach in Australia 2022 by Tourism Australia. Had a look and a short walk at Stony Hill then a hike at Peak Head and a cool down at Whaling Cove.

    Misery Beach is a lovely stretch of beach flanked by boulders and a tiny island in front. It was too choppy, windy and cold to swim. There was only a car at the carpark and 2 people in the beach when we arrived at 9am. By the time we left just after 10am, the carpark was overflowing and the beach quickly filling up.

    Peak Head was a short but challenging walk. Turned out a lot longer than we anticipated. It took us 2 hours 15 mins to hike 4.8km. Lots of steep inclines with soft sand tracks but the amazing and magnificent views. A previous bushfire cleared the views as the new growth were still small. Vast views of Southern Ocean, Peak Head, coves and bays tracking to the summit of Peak Head.
    Ruby managed to start a conversation with a fellow tracker when we were almost at the summit. Due to the steep incline, her deep sharp breaths had her inhaling smoke from the cigarette he was holding. He was smoking pot/ weed / marijuana. Poor Ruby was rather dizzy for a few minutes after, but did not admit to feeling high.
    The swim at Whaling Cove after did well for recovery from the hike
    Read more