Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Mt Clarence and Luke Pen Trail 12.8km

    February 23, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Started the morning with a 5.21km hike up and around Mt Clarence before meeting a friend for breakfast at our favourite Albany cafe, Gourmandise & Co.

    We accessed Mt Clarence Trail from Burgoyne Road which we came upon on our walk back from breakfast yesterday. This immediately led us into a forested area. Following the trial on maps.me, we walked along the water pipeline before taking a turn which went along the tall razor wire fence. It was a gradual ascent and not difficult hiking except for some loose gravel underfoot. We soon left the forest and met with a steep ascend along the bitumen road leading to Apex Lookout. This vantage presented a stunning panorama of Royal Princess Harbour, Middleton Beach and Emu Point, King George Sound and the Southern Ocean beyond. We continued on Apex Drive to the ANZAC Desert Mounted Corp Memorial which was accessed by a set of wide steps. Further along was the Padre White lookout which astonished me with views than rivalled Apex Lookout.

    Descent from the summit was via Padre White Trail to Hill Street and Earl Lane. It was a rather guilty free breakfast of creamy cheesy baked eggs at Gourmandise, washed down with coffee and the compulsory (for me) chocolate croissant.

    Today's Luke Pen Trail was a hobbit there and back trail, 7.6k.m We did the whole loop a few years back with our dear and much-missed Singapore friends. Today's hike was done with another dear friend from Malaysia who is now making Albany her home. Gorgeous views of the Kalgan River along this whole track, with glimpses of farmland and 2 (or was it 3) houses. Also saw some sheep and 2 alpacas in the distant paddocks. I had butterflies followed me for some of the trail, convincing me that fairies reside nearby.

    It was about 3.15pm by the time we for to the car, and 3 hungry tummies went in search of food. First stop, winery Monty's Leap. Kitchen closed at 2.30pm, but we were treated to a free taste of some wine. Next stop, Strawberry Farm, and that kitchen was also closed but we could have the cakes in the display cabinet. Needing something more substantial, we ended up at Hooked in Middleton Beach, much deserving of being repeatedly voted Best Fish and Chips.
    Read more