Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Rosebank Cottage to Cascades 18.9km

    March 1, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Our gorgeous little accommodation, Rosebank Cottage is at the doorstep of the Gloucester National Park where the world's tallest climable tree, the Gloucester Tree resides. The plan was to walk the 1km from cottage to said tree then follow the Bibbulmun to Cascades 7km, and back. However, both of us did not get proper walking directions to the tree, and we got lost. We could not find the tree, but did somehow get onto the Bib further along the track on Burma Road. Another folly for the day was my decision to not take raincoats despite a forecast for rain. The forecast will be inaccurate every other day but today, so it rained. And when the sky stopped raining, the tree canopy continued . Both of us had our usual moisture-wicking quick-drying hiking pants and shirts on. However, it stopped there. The undergarments were cotton and lacked the above properties. Walking with wet undergarments as the top layer was drying in between rain showers was certainly one of the most uncomfortable experiences of hiking. Wet, sloppy, sloshy, saggy undertheres causes one to walk with a strange gait, using muscles that should never be awaken. Maybe Mr Walk Naturally is onto something. Fortunately, it's still summer and although we were wet, we were not too cold. Also, the rain kept the pesky March flies away. We did still come across 5 Tiger Snakes.

    This is so far the most challenging track this trip. Long steep climbs and long steep descents along tracks littered with roly-poly gumnut. Vistas were breathtaking. The areas of Walpole and Pemberton are our favourite parts of the Bibbulmun so far.
    Read more