Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Walk into Denmark Township

    January 4, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    As we drive to our accommodation yesterday, Ruby confidently declared that it won't be more than 4km walk along the Bibbulmun track into town. Our host did say that it is a very long walk, "upwards of 6km". It was 8.74km from accommodation into town. It was a very easy level walk through Karri forests, swampy reeds, and some lovely vistas of the inlet. There was even a magical section with fairy doors so fairies can enjoy what The Bib has to offer.

    The lovely gentleman at Cottage Craft, where Ruby gets her supply of Seville Marmalade, was so horrified at the thought of us walking all the way back again, he offered us a lift. Tempted but undeterred, we politely declined. We did have lunch in town so we were refueled and ready to walk. We were so happy we did as we FOUND THE CHRISTMAS LEEK ORCHID! Right there, just beside the path. Did not see it on the way there, or maybe it was not opened at 9am when we passed it, but spotted it on the return. We were excited enough and celebrated when we saw the first CHRISTMAS LEEK ORCHID with only one flower on the stalk partially open. Then not 3 metres along was a splendid display. A full stalk, all opened to reward us for the effort of hiking back. Oh, the joys of the forest!
    Ruby made pancakes for afternoon tea which we had on the patio overlooking the many bird feeders in the garden, and watched the birds. Total distance walked today was 20.8km.
    Read more