Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Decin Day 3

    September 22, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    We had set out to have an easy day visiting the Museum and Castle and sitting for a long lunch as it was forecasted to rain.

    What we ended up with was quite the contrary.

    When we got to the museum it wasn't open yet so we decided to head to the castle. On the way, we chanced on a bike rental place. We had a change of plan and decided to cycle instead.

    We ended up cycling all the way to Königstein in Germany and back. A total of 54 km. We had lunch at Kaffehaus, the first food place we came upon as we were ravenous. The portions were a quarter the size of what we're used to this side of the Czech border, and it costs 3 times more. Ruby was so hungry and depleted she pushed her bike up the last 2 tiny hills. When we returned our bikes, the young lady there recommended a local Czech pub for our dinner. 300g grilled pork neck and deep fried gouda cheese with potatoes made us much happier. Interestingly, the menus here have weight beside each menu item. As the menu was only in Czech, I just looked down the weight column and ordered the dish that gave the most.

    At one of our many rest stops on the way back, we met 2 young boys who are cycling and camping from Dresden to Prague. One of them also does mountain climbing. He says that most of the climbing accidents do not occur whilst climbing, but in the rest periods. Many have fallen off after climbing up a tall column of rock, sitting at the top unsecured, just relaxing.

    Our legs weren't accustomed to cycling, though the terrain was flat it was exhausting not to mention the pain from the bike seat. The scenery, the views and cake from Kaffehaus compensated for it.

    We reckon that Right to Adequate Suspension on Bicycle Seat has to be in The Universal Declaration of Human Rights. After Right to Equality, Right to Freedom of Belief and Religion, Right to Education, etc, we need to protect the delicate areas of our body.

    Cycled 54,3km
    Read more