Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Return to Prague Day 2 - Kutna Hora & Op

    September 29, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    We went on a guided day trip to Kutna Hora with Sandeman's Tour. Description taken from Sandeman's website.

    ABOUT THE DAY TRIP TO KUTNÁ HORA
    Only an hour away from the crowded pubs of Prague lies Kutná Hora. Seemingly frozen in time, the town of 20,000 is almost like an open-air museum, showcasing some of Central Europe’s most stunning architectural treasures in perfectly-preserved condition. With a compact, UNESCO-listed historical center, this tour offers a smooth and secure transfer by train from the capital, before taking to the cobbled streets by foot.
    The day trip begins with a train journey to Kutná Hora accompanied by your expert local guide. You’ll then set out to explore the nooks and crannies of this charming Bohemian city on foot - wandering through the UNESCO-listed center at a completely flexible pace.

    You'll visit the Sedlec Ossuary (also known as the 'Bone Chapel') which draws visitors from all over the world who come to see the tens of thousands of human skeletons that decorate it. However, there is much more to see in Kutná Hora than just the Bone Chapel, as this tour takes you to one of the Czech Republic's oldest monasteries, to the gothic masterpiece Saint Barbara's Church.

    The historical town center of Kutná Hora is so impressive that it is a UNESCO World Heritage site. During your walking tour in Kutná Hora, you'll see the splendour of the Italian Court (the Royal Mint), some of the most impressive gothic buildings in the Czech Republic and you'll understand why several Bohemian kings made the town their home.

    In our group of 10, we had a couple from Geraldton, WA and a young couple from Manning, Perth. That's a suburb just 20 minutes away from us in Perth. Another member was young Chinese guy from California who was doing his first solo travel holiday for a fortnight in Europe. It was a lovely group, and much chatting was done.

    The day ended with Dvorak's Rusalka Opera at the State Opera House. A beautifully ornate Opera House with frescoes and baroque architecture. The staging and set were state of the art and the orchestra and cast were outstanding.

    Distance walked 21.9km
    Read more