Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Olomouc Day 1 Rest Day

    September 30, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Of all the different challenges that travelling can bring, this has to be one of the more hilarious ones. Grace has decided to have a proper afternoon rest in our lovely apartment in Olomouc today. After arriving in Olomouc and admiring our new abode for the next 2 nights, we walked to the nearest supermarket Lidl for supplies to cook our dinner. I decided that as we're having a night in I'd get a bottle of beer from the supermarket. The 500ml bottle costs AUD $1.08, actually cheaper than a bottle of water. After an early dinner as we did not have lunch, it was beer time. In this very fancy fully equipped kitchen, I could not find a bottle opener. We are in Czech Republic, largest consumers of beer in the world. They serve beer at breakfast cafes, sell beer at newsagencies, and everywhere. We thought we'd just ask the host who lives downstairs to borrow his opener. He replied that he does not have one. So, Grace has just returned to the apartment from the street, my beer bottle in hand, looking for someone with a bottle opener in their pocket. It took only about a minute and the third person had the requisite tool. She even got a lesson on the various ways to open a beer bottle without an opener.

    We went for a walk early this morning to check out the route and tram stop for the main train station in Prague before we hauled suitcases along cobblestones. An official looking car stopped and told us, "tram crash. No tram. 3 hours. No tram." As it was drizzling quite heavily, we decided to just call a Bolt (like Uber). A tram recovery vehicle carrying a crane passed us, and it would have been interesting to see that at work. Unfortunately we did not have enough time to, and we did not know how far down the road the tram crash was. We did tell a guy who was waiting at the tram stop that the trams were not running, and found out that he was from India, studying in Prague. I refrained from asking any questions, like what he was studying, and how one from India actually ended up studying in Prague. Is his course in English, or did he have to learn Czech as it is a very difficult language. Grace might have needed a rest for 2 days if I asked anything.

    No photos taken today.

    Distance walked 7.4km
    Read more