Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Telc Day 1 Lednice Château , Palova,

    October 4, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    We are moving from Brno to Telc today but before we do, we booked a guide to take us to see Lednice Chateau, Mikulov, Palova and introduce us to Moravian wines.

    We were picked up at 8am from our accommodation and the first stop was to see a Church built during the communist era. The guide said it was the only church built in that era. The architecture was interesting. Grey concrete structure without any embellishments.

    In complete contrast, we visited the Lednice Chateau with the beautiful manicured gardens. Lednice was home to the Hapsburg family when they were in Brno. There was a green house for palms, beautifully topiaried hedges, fountains and a minaret for one of the son in laws who was from Turkey.

    We had a quick stop at the Soviet war memorial before heading to do wine tasting in Palova. The guide explained that each plot in a vineyard grew different grapes by different families to make different wines. These wines are a limited edition and only sold in vinotekas or at the cellar doors. These wines cannot be found in supermarkets as the wines are made in small quantities of between 2000 bottles to 5000 bottles, not sufficient for large distributions.

    In one vinoteka, you could choose to taste up to 30 different wines from the South Moravian regions.

    I finally found coffee gelato in Mikulov while Ruby had Burcak ice cream.

    Our guide kindly dropped us off at the bus station and even checked that it was the correct place to wait for our bus.

    Distance walked 11.1km
    Read more