Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Budapest Day 5

    October 27, 2023 in Hungary ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We had our first proper rainy day yesterday, so we decided to forgo a Walking Tour and go to the Gellert Baths instead. Budapest is known for its mineral thermal baths. We spent 4 hours soaking in the various pools and it's different temperatures. There was an outdoor pool that we froze getting to, but the water was warm and it was a lovely experience to be in a warm pool in the drizzle. We even went into the super steamy steam room twice and sat in the plastic seats in front of the door as it was so steamy there was zero visibility. I didn't want any sweaty person sitting on me or touching me if I sat on the wooden bench because they couldn't see me .
    We soaked all our aches and stiffness from all the walking, and bad pillows away.
    I couldn't believe that we stayed for 4 hours. Helped that people were so chatty.
    We had 2 couples help us at the baths. The first was an older couple from Naples who helped us work out how to use the lockers with a fob on a watch strap. It was such a maze in the baths, we were so fortunate to meet another young couple at the first pool, a guy from Argentina and his girlfriend from Barcelona. He was sent by his girlfriend to check out the other pools, and he came back and took us up and down stairs, winding through cafe and locker rooms, etc to the next pool. I don't know how we'd have navigated all that without him.
    Another red haired young man from Austria struck up a conversation too.
    It was pure providence that we found our exact lockers again at the end.

    After the baths we travelled by taxi back to our accommodation and drove on the Chain Bridge which is only for taxi and buses. It was so nice to be driven and on such a beautiful route.

    We had a lovely dinner at Tati Farm to Plate Restaurant to end a wonderful, extravagant day.

    Distance walked 5.1km
    Read more