Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Pecs Day 3

    October 30, 2023 in Hungary ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We had a strange moment yesterday when Ruby's watch showed an hour later than mine. Hers showed 2pm when mine showed only 1pm. After checking our mobile phones, we moved her watch back an hour. This morning, we got a message from Kai at 8.10am who was already at the shops. It should be 2.10pm in Perth, so why wasn't she at school? More confusion ensued when she told us she left school shortly after the bell went. Very confused, we even asked a shop lady what the time was. She told us it was 8.10am. Perth is supposed to be only 6 hours ahead. Why are they now 7 hours ahead. How did we gain an hour? We had a Twilight Zone moment before we realised that it must be end of daylight saving. Checked google. Indeed end of daylight saving was yesterday, and we never knew. Mobile phones and Garmin watches update their time accordingly. I don't understand daylight saving. Why do they want more daylight in summer which already has so much daylight? Now it's dark at 5.20pm instead of 6.20pm. Isn't it more logical to save the daylight for winter which has less daylight?

    We decided to go to the Harkany Thermal Baths about 30km from Pecs.
    We managed to get the connecting buses with time to slip in a Langos and coffee for breakfast. The only hiccup was that I was supposed to get a 24hr Pecs bus ticket to use for the day but neither the bus driver nor the information at the bus station could help. Also the bus driver refused to wait for us to get off the bus at our stop because we were too slow letting an elderly lady to alight first. So we had to get it at the next stop and walk back. Old lady very quickly vanished into a side s street. Fortunately we saw an elderly couple carrying a large bag each and a swimming float. We asked if they were going to Harkany Furdo, they gestured for us to follow them and showed us a shorter way to the bath.

    The bath was so much better than Gellert Baths in Budapest. There seem to only be locals at this bath, there were less people in the baths and the bath was on a sprawling flat complex without any rabbit warrens.

    Now happily relaxed and destressed, we are back at the accommodation for a quiet evening.
    I've also added some quirky Pecs photos.

    Distance walked 4.8km
    Read more