Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Padua Day 3

    November 7, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Today we are following the URBS PICTA card trail that allows you free entry into battistero, oratorio, palazzo and capella where there are beautiful, and well preserved frescoes.

    We started at the Palazzo Della Ragione, commissioned by Scrovegni done by Giotto but was destroyed by fire. The frescoes were redone by Giovanni Nicolò Miretto (fl. 1423–ca. 1440). Just stunning work.

    Then the Capella Della Reggia Carrarese. It is a rather small capella but the works by Guariento were amazing.

    Oratorio di San Michele and San Giorgio, had frescoes painted by Altichiero da Zevio working in collaboration with Jacopo da Verona

    Before the last attraction, we stopped for lunch when we saw an pizzeria full of students. Padua has the second oldest university in Italy, with campuses spread around town giving a lovely lively vibe everywhere you go. We thought that's a cafe full of students would mean that the food was good and inexpensive. We were not disappointed.

    Last by no means least on the list was the frescoes in the Battistero Della Cattedrale, by Giusto de Menabuoi. It was the highlight of the day. Like the Scrovegni Chapel, a small group was escorted into the battistero for a 25 minute visit. It included an audio guide that explained each panel of the frescoes. Like the Scrovegni Chapel, this is UNESCO World heritage listed.

    It took us 15km to complete all 5 venues. Now we are completely so impressed and even more overwhelmed than yesterday. Even walking around Padua was a feast for the eyes. There are markets under the Palazzo Della Ragione and it's Piazza Della Frutta that were running for 800 years. We walked through some old streets with castle like turrets and towers. Probably homes of wealthy merchants.

    Distance walked today 16 km.
    Our total distance so far is approximately 780 km.
    Read more