Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    Montepulciano Day 1

    November 23, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    Montepulciano is a quaint medival town. Very difficult to get to by public transport because it is difficult to find and or takes hours to get here. Ruby finally found a route that took a bus, train and bus from Firenze.

    Our host at the Airbnb was very good and did give us very clear instructions how to get here and finished by saying that it was a mere 150m walk from the bus stop to the apartment. What he didn't tell us was 150 m up steep steps. In the last 20 steps or so, a lovely young man bounded down from above, like an angel, and asked if we needed help. He then gathered all our bags and bounded back up the steps despite protest from Ruby that we could manage the small bags ourselves. What a lovely kind strong man, another travel angel.

    Montepulciano is a sleepy town when we arrived. The sunset was beautiful.

    Osteria Aquacheta for dinner was an interesting experience. We were seated at the end of a long bench right next to a family of 4 from Texas. The culture in this restaurant was you just speak to the person next to you and the family from Texas assured us that Montepulciano transform and comes to life in Saturday and Sunday because the locals from neighbouring towns come to the Christmas markets. Another interesting event was when we ordered a 250ml carafe of house wine. Carafe came, and waiter said something about one glass, so we thought we only get one wine glass for this small amount of wine, but no wine glass came. When we asked again for a wine glass, after more Italian/English explanation, we realised what he meant was that we have to use our glass for water for the wine as well. One glass.

    Distance walked 7.7 km
    Read more