Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Montepulciano Day 2 Pienza

    November 24, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    A car is very advisable for this region. We have had the most difficult time planning day trips with public transport. Even after we had checked with the tourist information and got the bus times from them, when we got back to the accommodation to check, the times of the buses didn't match up. We had planned to go to Bagni del Fillipo, which is a natural thermal bath.
    We had to change plans and went to Pienza instead.
    Pienza was lovely and magical medieval town. We walked the length and breadth of the town and also found a lovely market that sold the juiciest dried apricots and roasted almonds in the shell.
    We also meet a lovely Benedictine nun who was making a rosary with string at the gate of a convent. We found out that she was born in Melbourne and she invited us in to see the produce that the nuns made.
    She told us that Benedictine nuns are committed to prayer and work. We bought an onion jam and pistachio spread that the nuns made.
    With the Bagni bus tickets, we found that we could also visit San Quirico d' Orca too. We waited and waited and waited for 30 mins and the bus didn't appear so we crossed over and caught the bus back to Montepulciano. With a car, the destinations would have taken no more than half an hour each.
    We still had a nice day regardless of the transport issue.
    Tomorrow, we are supposed to walk to Montefollicino and bus back but again, there is a bus there but none to come back. So we are going to bus there and walk back instead. We will see how it turns out tomorrow.

    Distance walked 7.7 km
    Read more