Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Dunedin to Otago Peninsula

    December 9, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    What a night... As we didn’t manage to do proper sightseeing yesterday we decided to stay at the freedom camping spot in the city instead to move to one of the holiday parks outside of Dunedin. In fact it‘s just a car park located between the train station (should mean sth already) and a main road. As we arrived on a Sunday, there was less traffic and we thought it can’t be that loud. It was ok, but more annoying were the other campers, who slamshut the port-a-loo (glad we have our own toilet 😁) doors and the walls of the campervans are on the thinner side... and sleeping with ear plugs next to a baby, which wakes up during the night is not the option... ok, noted: never again to camp in the middle of the city on a parking lot (our experience in Wellington should have been enough, I just guess that we didn‘t want to realize the truth 😂)

    So the first stop of the day: coffee ☕️ & breakfast 🍳

    We strolled through Dunedin and ended up at the Otago museum before we decided to leave Dunedin earlier than planned and heading to Otago peninsula instead.

    We arrived at a cute little campground. After the last days with barely any amenities we needed to catch up. Never been happier before to use a hot water washing machine (hot water wash machines are not common here).

    The main reason why we came to the Otago peninsula: Royal albatrosses and blue penguins. The latter we didn’t see, as we didn’t do a tour. We just drove to that albatross Center where we were greeted by hundreds of sea gulls. The parking lot‘s just next to their breeding zone, no surprise they‘re not too fond of the visitors. And lots of birds also mean lots of sh*t. 🙈

    It was a quick out-grab a photo-back to the campervan. And enjoyed the flying royal albatrosses (wingspan up to 3m!) through the window. 😁
    Read more