Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Otago Peninsula to Oamaru

    December 10, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Next stop in Dunedin again: the former steepest road in the world. We didn’t dare driving there 😬

    Also on the Agenda: Moeraki Boulder Beach. One would wonder, how it‘s possible to create these smooth round or sometimes eggshaped stones.

    Oamaru: another opportunity to see blue pinguins. We therefore chose a campsite close to the blue penguins colony. Also next to it is a huge playground. Matilda was in heaven and not just her 😂 The old town of Oamaru reminds me somehow of the Netflix series Lemony Snicket. We‘re quite surprised and really liked the charme of the town.

    A quick check on google maps (what would we do without google nowadays...) led us to a surprisingly delicious Italian restaurant. We were in food coma 😄

    Since the penguins only return to their nest at dusk we had enough time to prepare ourselves (means: putting on extra layers) for the night. The original plan was to see the penguins at the colony, but as soon as we got closer we already heard voices in various languages through loudspeaker explaining the penguin life. We looked at each other and were like „are they serious“? On top they wanted to charge 40$ per adult. No thanks. So we went a bit back where we saw a couple of people before. Not long and the first penguin came out of the water and was kind of running to his nest hidden in den bushes. A bit later 7 fellas came and hid under the carriage. They acted like the penguins in the movie Madagascar. 😂 A few more came until we decided to return to our cozy campervan.

    We walked a couple of meters and suddenly a penguin could be seen on the walkway. Looked left and we saw another one, probably waiting for him. While the first penguin waited a third one bumped into him. It was like: hey, what are you waiting for. Goooo! After a pause 🐧#3 started walking and suddenly paused, so 🐧 #1 bumped into #3. #2 at the bush must have thought 🤦🏻‍♀️😂😂😂😂

    Almost at the campground we saw another 4 penguins. This time they crossed the street. They looked like the Beatles on the famous picture, just minus the crossing.

    In comparison the blue penguins were running, while the yellow eyed penguin waddled.
    Read more