Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Reykjavik Iceland

    July 2, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Back in Reykjavik after three extraordinary days in North Iceland. Our lost baggage caused a lot of stress and uncertainty. Wearing the same clothes for three days drying underwear with a hair dryer was the pits, no wet packs or pjs. That said each day we did our best not to let it colour our view. It was like Xmas opening our bags having a shower and putting on clean clothes. Our guide Oskar that Alex recommended was amazing. He drove the car both days and took us to the most incredible places such as beautiful green rolling hills going all the way down to fjords, then through huge valleys surrounded by ice capped mountains . On the second day we saw the most powerful waterfall in Europe then up to the highlands where there were there were huge rocks and lava where volcanoes had erupted. Then we moved on to barren orange geothermal wastelands with steam spewing out and big pools of silvery grey silica bubbling and boiling. We even went down into a cave where there was dark blue water 100 degrees Celsius. Because we had a car not a bus he could take us to all sorts of places we wouldn't have seen . He was so understanding of our bag drama helping to ring the airport constantly . I was quite miffed as I had bought a new camera and my batteries died early the first day as the charger was in the bag but took photos on phone and iPad. We have a nice roomy apartment in Reykjavik for four nights which is very convenient and we can do our own breakfast. Restaurants are incredibly expensive . Tonight we had a main course and one wine each $150 !!! Starting to feel more comfortable driving on the right. Tomorrow we have tickets to bathe in the Blue Lagoon. If you don't know what it's like google it. I can't wait. Our knees and feet will enjoy the therapeutic powers.

    Love to all

    B& B
    Read more