Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Kunozan Toshogu & Disappearing Mt Fuji

    May 21, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Came to Shimizu primarly as I had heard that it was a great place to get views of Mt Fuji especially from Miho Beach to the east of the town. Unfortunatly although it was a bright sunny day it was very hazy so views of Fuji where largely totally obscured. However you could glimpse the snow capped peak floating in the sky which was very atmospheric, if hard to photograph.

    I took a local bus out to Miho beach and then walked a cfew kms up the beach and around to the 'waterbus' which ferries people between Shimizu port and the swimming beaches on the northen tip of the Miho peninsula.

    Travelled on later in the day back to Shizuoka and the an hour by local bus out to Nihondaira plataeu south of the city; another spot famous for its Fuji views but this time it was also fogged in by low clouds so no views of Fuji at all. Still a great place though and my other reason for coming was to visit Kunozan Toshogu the shrine of the great Shogun Togugawa who united Japan and created the Bafaku feudal system that ruled for over 200 years. This is his actual Shrine were he was buried at his request although now only of secondary importance to the great Togugawa Shrine at Nikko which is were most people go. I have been to both and much prefered this one with its wonderful location high up on a mountain overlooking the sea and lack of tourists. Took the cable car down from the plataeu to the Shrine which is a pretty spectacular ride, then walked the 1000 steps down to the sea (well I wasn't going to walk up them in the 27C heat :-)

    below the whole coastine is covered in greenhouses full of strawberries and there are little cafes everywhere were you ca get strawberry smoothies or icecream or just about anything strawberry. All of which was very refreshing after another hot day of walking and sightseeing and long local bus rides. Speaking of which it was another local busride back to Shimizu but this time only about 30 mins of standing up and bouncing around... the seats are too small and legroom non existanat so I cant sit down :-)

    All in all a great day with Kunozan Toshugu the highlight.
    Read more