Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    First overnight bus: SP to Iguazu

    May 20, 2015 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Our newly adopted Brazilian parents, Eugene "you are my daughters today" & Fatima very kindly drove us to Sao Paulo (5hrs) and insisted on buying us lunch at the services - very nice incl loads of veg which makes a refreshing change. Beautiful coastal road to start with then climbing up windy roads into the foggy highlands then onto three lane motorways with tolls.

    E & F told us the mayor of Paraty was shot last night (survived) about 2 blocks behind our hostel. They didn't seem that shocked and said all politics / police are corrupt.

    From what little we saw of SP we're glad we didn't stay despite having a few free offers - huge, smoggy, dirty city with 20 million people and tons of skyscrapers. The main road that goes along the outside had approx 10 lanes both ways!

    We got tickets for our night bus from Pluma (R189) and left at 18:30. Fairly comfortable apart from my squiggling travel companion and beautiful sunrise. I wrongly presumed we'd be travelling through jungle but it was more small towns and farmland.

    We arrived at Foz do Iguacu about 10am and walked an hour to our hostel...Guest House Iguazu.
    Read more