Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Puerto Iguazu - hummingbirds

    May 23, 2015 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    NB: 14 Pesos = £1.

    Today we hopped over to Argentina for the day. Caught a bus (4R) which we had been told we should get off at the Brazilian border, however the bus driver said no to us despite some people he said yes to so we hesitantly stayed on the bus and only got off on the Argentinian side, got passports stamped and got back on the bus. Seems to have worked as they let us back in the other side! The lady in the hostel wasn't sure why but was likely because we had no luggage so they knew it was a day trip. Either way was easy!

    Anna wanted to go to Jardin de Picaflores (hummingbird garden; 40P) so led us on a long, hot trek on which we picked up a dog causing all the other dogs behind the gates to bark at us! When we eventually found said place, it was closed for siesta :( Thinking we were ages from town we sat and waited for over an hour :( Turns out we were 5 mins from town and Anna had taken us the scenic route!!! Oh well. Never trust a Flump to navigate.

    The garden is just a guy's backyard who has been feeding the birds for 34 years (sugar syrup solution). Anna hoped to see a few birds but she was in heaven because there were about a hundred of the little things chirping away and whizzing past our faces. I'm not overly into birds but it was a beautiful sight and lovely noise. Anna was completely enchanted :)

    Booked our onward bus trip - expensive but only one bus company does our route so little choice unless we want to take a week by chicken buses!

    Had a wander around Puerto Iguazu. Such a lovely cute place, very backpackerish and as it's low season, quite deserted. A much nicer place than the Brazilian side and we wished we'd stayed there for half the time to do the stuff on that side, especially as our onward travel is from there. The benefit of hindsight!!

    We found a very cute, tiny Mexican and had tacos, quesadillas, free nachos and free tequila for Anna - it makes her happy!! - for a late lunch, then caught the bus back (20P).

    Talked to the hostel tour guide lady for a long time and then did some planning for our next stop. Toasty hot today!
    Read more