Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Igazu falls - Brazilian side

    May 22, 2015 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Bigger than Niagara, the falls are made up of 150-300 separate falls depending on water flow, spread out over 2.7km. I have to say I'd never heard of them before our trip and wasn't overly bothered about seeing them.

    Words and photos cannot do justice to Iguazu falls. They are simply spectacular!!! Deservedly one of the new 7 wonders of the world (unlike Christ Redeemer in my opinion; I think South Americans were voting heavily for these as we will see 4 of the wonders on our travels).

    We caught a public bus to the site and paid our 53R fee, then were taken by bus to the start of the trail. The first view is amazing, but then as you walk along the trail you realise that's not it, there is more and more, and then more, until you end up at the heaviest part - Devil's Throat.

    The sound is tremendous, there are rainbows everywhere, beautiful butterflies land on you and won't leave you alone, and Quatis (monkey cats) stalk you for food.

    We spent over 3 hours on a trail that's less than a mile long taking a million photos. I could have stayed all day.

    Since the Argentinian tour will be pricey we decided to try and cut costs and cook for ourselves! £2 bought us enough pasta, sauce and veg for 2 meals, 2 instant noodles and some bacon popcorn - seems we have resorted to student life! To complete this we spent the evening sipping capirinhas and playing pool, including a great England vs Canadian match which we narrowly won.
    Read more