Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 152

    Wrecks and rubbish

    October 5, 2015 in Honduras ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Hannah was up and out in the early morning sun to work on her tan. We were not! I tried to be adventurous for breakfast and order the local cheap food: Baleada (30L), a thick tortilla with beans and salad - however it also had egg in it so I wouldn't touch it. Anna kindly had it instead and shared her fruit crepe with me. We resisted cinnamon rolls but Hannah bought us one for lunch.

    I lazed in the hammock until midday when we set up our dive gear. Our DM was a Honduran called Andrea. We were also accompanied by 3 young American trainee DMs who were annoying and poor divers.

    Our first dive site was very close to the hostel: Halliburton wreck, a 30m cargo ship. It was a pretty good dive despite not great visibility. There weren't many fishes or parts you could swim through properly but you could go down onto the deck and swim through the wheelhouse which had a creepy doll's head in it. There were also a few random bicycles on the seafloor - the DMTs tried to ride it and cut their hands on the corals - idiots. It was a bit chaotic at the end of the dive as both groups exited at the same time - would be far better to stagger it. One of the DMTs completely ran out of air - too much energy spent getting in everyone's way!

    Our second dive site: Black Coral Wall, was strewn with tons of rubbish on the surface - unclear why but there was tons everywhere. The dive was boring with uncolourful coral, poor visibility and again few fishes. The water also had a greenish tinge to it. Andrea spent ages looking for a frogfish - unsuccessfully. Worst dive here by far.

    Once we got back we lay on the dock in the last of the sun and then I picked up our laundry (80L for a carrier bag) and saw a couple of hummingbirds on their feeder. We had dinner at Fookin Wok - pricey but portions were big enough to share so we got two dishes and all tucked in. Food was delicious with tons of veggies. We had iced tea which was disgusting - they forgot to charge us and we didn't correct them as it was so foul. We all fell asleep really early.
    Read more