Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 187

    Another day, another island

    November 9, 2015 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Typically, after deciding to leave, we wake up to beautiful sunshine! We had our final nutella pancakes, walked along the beach, packed our bags and got the 1pm ferry to Chiquila (100P), got on the waiting Mayab bus (100P) and 2.5 hours later were in Cancun.

    After a short hunt to find an ATM, we got a taxi to Puerto Juarez (80P) and jumped straight on a boat (146P return). During the twenty minute trip, we were serenaded by a great guitar player, which was a vast improvement on the lively but terrible guy on the first boat (though he did sing El taxi which earnt him bonus points).

    We arrived at Isla Mujeres and easily found Hotel D’Gomar (700P; reduced to 550P for extra days we stayed) as it's directly opposite the ferry terminal. It's one of the cheapest hotels on Booking but seems nice and clean if a bit tired and lacking any character.

    We dumped our bags and then set off to explore. It's a complete contrast to Holbox - very built up due to it's proximity to Cancun; paved roads (though mainly golf carts and mopeds), fancy restaurants, very clean and shiny and rammed full of Americans - it feels like we're in the US! All the workers speak to us in English and are happily surprised when we speak back in Spanish.

    The restaurants are much cheaper than feared. There are several beach-front ones which are surprisingly similar or cheaper than the masses on a long strip a few roads back. We went to Vinales, a deserted authentic Mexican place with a good veggie range. We both had yummy burritos, mine veggie, Anna's seafood plus a Corona and Jamaica tea (220P). Afterwards we continued exploring and found a really good gelato place which sadly closes tomorrow for a month :(

    Despite it being very touristy our first impressions of Mujeres is good...and fewer mozzies :)
    Read more