Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    On the road.

    July 12, 2018 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    Day ten. We woke up and started packing for the long road trip across Newfoundland to Gros Morne National Park. Originally, we had planned to spend one more night in St. John’s and to do the 8 hour drive in one go. But word was a tropical storm was on its way and pretty soon St. John’s would be swathed in rain and wind. So the new plan was to leave today and only drive half way to a town called Gander to spend the night. Forest and Heleen were worried about Mies being in the car for so long I guess, and the other point was the weather, what would we do in the rain all day besides stay cooped up together in that wonderland house? I’ll tell you, bars...pubs...drinking holes...St. John’s is famous for the pub scene.
    Regardless, we did as we were told and we left the city headed west. About an hour in we found out that the storm had missed St. John’s all together and instead settled in the middle of the island, more precisely, the middle of us. So we drove in the pouring rain for several hours until we reached Gander and the Comfort Inn, our accommodations for the night. Hotels are great fun for children. The elevators, the hallways, the ice machines, the double beds...all a playground mecca for the young, and a hellish, headache inducing prison for the old. Luckily for us there was restaurant next door that was the top reviewed eatery in Gander...it was also the only place in Gander to eat dinner so we headed over. James poured ice water in his hotdogs and fries, Heather hated her scallops that were bathed in some weird cream sauce, ( I had the same thing as Heather and didn’t mind the cream pudding). Addie had Cod tongues...yeah, Cod tongues. She actually saw Cod tongues on the menu and said, “I’ll have that!” Good on her too, she’s a hell of a little traveler. Anyway, that meal sucked. So back to the Comfort Inn we go where I have a bottle of 14 year old whiskey waiting for me.
    Read more