Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 635

    Joshua Tree... not sure i get it...

    October 9, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Several friends have raved or posted photo after photo of trips to Joshua Tree. It always looked fascinating and beautiful in a funky sort of way. So I added it to our roadtrip list.

    We got a super great Airbnb in Joshua Tree town, with a spacious comfy living room, big kitchen and nice outside space with hummingbirds fluttering and birds chirping away each morning.

    Sadly most cool restaurants we heard about were closed the days we were there, but on the plus side that did mean we had several healthy, home cooked meals instead.

    We also had some hiking planned but man it is hot and crazy dry (7% humidity) while we were there. So we opted for staying indoors until the sun was setting. The National Park has a gazillion wacky yet beautiful trees everywhere, massive rocks that look like they were thrown about, and we got to see a gorgeous sunset. But it was also quite monotonous...

    And now as for the tiny town of Joshua Tree, it is a strange mix of hippies selling healing crystals and vegan eats, military families from the nearby Marine base, and people just trying to get by, living in the desert. It is brown and ugly, with a lot of run-down looking homes. Can’t say I was as smitten as so many others about this area.

    That being said, I read a full book, played a lot of scrabble and enjoyed relaxing, so maybe that’s why people like it here!
    Read more